- The Cell will deal with the cases/complaints of sexual harassment and any other type of harassment of the female students, teaching and non-teaching women staff of the Polytechnic.
- The Cell shall process all the individual complaints and take immediate suitable actions.
- The Cell will provide assistance in the matter of gender discrimination and sexual harassment.
- The Cell may form/review the guidelines/policy for redressal of the grievance as required from time to time, which may be in accordance with those issued by Supreme Court and Government Agencies.
- Any women employee or female student will have the right to lodge a complaint concerning sexual harassment against a male student or the employee of the institute by writing a letter or putting the complaint in the Principal’s office.
- The complaint will be afforded full confidentiality at this stage.
- After receiving the complaint, the cell shall convene the meeting.
- The cell will investigate and decide the course of action to proceed.
- In case the cell decides to proceed with the complaint, the wishes of the complainer shall be ascertained and if the complainer wishes that a warning will suffice then alleged offender shall be called to the meeting of the committee, heard and if satisfied that a warning is just and proper, he will be warned about his behavior and non-occurrence of it. In case the complainer requests that the complaint should be proceeded with beyond mere a warning, the same may be proceeded with in the manner prescribed hereafter.
Procedure for investigation:
- If the complainer wishes to proceed beyond a mere a warning to the accused, the accused shall be given in writing by the cell an opportunity to explain within one week why he should not be, for good and sufficient reasons, be punished for the act of sexual harassment on his part.
- If the written explanation of the accused is not found to be satisfactory or if he does not provide any written explanation, the body will decide whether the offense deserves a minor penalty or a major penalty.
- In the event that the body deciding that the accused be imposed a minor penalty, the said penalty will be imposed.
- If the cell comes to a conclusion that the accused guilt proved, should be imposed a major penalty. If the accused is an employee, he may be placed under suspension under the provisions of act.
- If a person is charged with physical molestation or rape in the premises, he shall be immediately placed under suspension pending the completion of the investigation and enquiry. Appropriate actions can be initiated as per the laws of Indian penal code.
Punishment for sexual harassment:
- Any member of the institute fraternity (student/employee/outsider related to institute) found guilty of sexual harassment shall be liable to be punished. This shall be subject to the same penalties for major or minor misconduct as prescribed under Bovernment/ DTE rules.
- A student guilty of sexual harassment shall be liable for any of the following penalties:
- Warning or reprimand.
- Suspension from DTE/ Polytechnic for a period of one month.
- Debarment from appearing for the examination for a period up to three years.
- Rustication from the DTE as the case may be.
- Any other punishment as defined by the Government/ DTE act.
Protection against Victimization:
- In the event of the complainer being a student and the accused being a staff, during the investigation and inquiry and even after such an inquiry if the staff is found to be guilty, the accused will not act as an examiner for any examination for which the student appears.
- In the event the complainer and the accused both being employees, during the investigation and inquiry even after such an inquiry if the accused is found to be guilty, the accused shall not write the condition reports of the complainer, if it is otherwise so authorized.